Thursday 25 September, 2008

Chrome pains

I was quite excited to try google chrome. Thanks to SEV, I have chrome that pretends to run. But In less ten seconds after starting it for the first time, I see serious problems.
1) It runs on top of wine, which essentially means that I should be ready for surprises and occasional crashes.
2) I cannot maximize it... WTF. When I click on maximize button it maximizes only along vertical direction. Actually it appears to have maximized but 30% portion on the right side (which contains ALL the important buttons etc.) simply disappears.... I am unsure if thats intended. Interestingly, I can easily drag it to fit my whole screen. Duh...
3) Support for UTF-8 is pathetic (basically there is no support. i see only blocks in place of special utf-8 characters despite the fact that chrome does detect character encoding correctly)
4) I decided to write this post from chrome and it just crashed. A lot of wine-based applications do that. But it definitely creates a very bad first impression.


So right now, even though I have a chrome shortcut created on my desktop, I don't think I would bother to click it much often. May be I will wait for official release google that runs natively.

No comments: